Recipe by Katie Mae
I’m a huge fan of BBQ sauce. I especially love BBQ veggie pizza, BBQ tempeh, and my newest creation – BBQ Beans and Greens! Pineapple, the key ingredient, adds a perfectly sweet dynamic. If you enjoy the tangy, sweetness of BBQ sauce but prefer to skip the heavy salt and sugar added to store-bought BBQ sauces, you must try this recipe.
Makes 4-6 servings
Ready in 15 minutes
Stores 6 days in fridge
BEANS & GREENS
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1½ bunches of kale, de-stemmed and chopped (any type)
- 1½ cup cooked cannellini beans (15-oz can, rinsed and drained)
- 1½ cup cooked pinto beans (15-oz can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons water
1. In a food processor or blender, combine BBQ sauce ingredients. Blend to even consistency and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, place onions and cook with lid on, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until onions are translucent. With a lid on pan the water that sweats out from onions is kept in pan, and thus there is no need to start with water or oil.
3. Add the beans and chopped kale to the onions. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. If mixture is too dry, add less than ¾ cup of water. Add the BBQ sauce to the beans and greens. Gently toss mixture so everything is covered with sauce. Cook on low for 5 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors and then serve.
Did you like this recipe? If so, please share it. Your voice matters in spreading the plant-based message and transforming our food system. Salud!